Wednesday, December 14, 2011

To the Kentucky Basketball Fan - Losing Hurts


     After the buzzer beating three point shot that defeated Kentucky at Indiana on Saturday, I felt that old familiar sting of defeat down in my heart again.  As a fan, that was a really tough loss.  Kentucky went into Indiana as the number one team in America.  Like myself, most Kentucky fans expected a win against the unranked Hoosiers. Indiana had something else in mind.  
     Losing is hated by any average fan.  It is double hated by Kentucky fans. The Bluegrass was filled with gloomy faces and hurt feelings Sunday morning.  For people like me, a Kentucky loss has the ability to suck the air right out of you.  I know that we shouldn't be like that, however it is how we are.  Loving Kentucky basketball is how we were raised. 
     As bad as the latest Indiana loss felt, it was not even close to be considered the most hurtful loss that Kentucky has suffered.  The right champion and crown wearer to that title is hard to pick.  In all of Kentucky's rich basketball history we have suffered many pain staking defeats too.  The most recent losses come to mind first.  Last year, Kentucky fell short in the Final Four to UConn.  Turn the time back to 2003, Dwayne Wade and Marquette stop Kentucky's championship hopeful run in the NCAA Tournament. Really, I could go on and on.
     Personally, the most hurtful Kentucky loss goes to the king of all college basketball games.  I'm talking about Duke vs. Kentucky in 1992.  I was 11 years old.  My memories of that day are still pretty vivid.  Being a Clay County native, I had an added interest as homegrown Richie Farmer was apart of that Kentucky team.   That game had my whole attention through out.  Dad sat right next to me, as we both watched in amazement of the back and forth game.  Finally, Sean Woods drives the lane and make an awkward shot that made my 11 year old self think he was Michael Jordan. Kentucky had won the game and I was celebrating.  Moments later, Christian Laettner hit the shot heard round the Commonwealth.  The joy on my face turned quickly to shock and unbelief.  He just didn't beat us , did he?  When reality set in, shock and unbelief turned to hearbreak by way of a tear rolling down my cheek. Yes, Christian Laettner and the Duke Blue Devils made this little boy cry. I have never felt pain like that from a basketball game since, and I would most likely say I will never feel that again.  




1 comment: