Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Man Among Boys - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist


     Over the years, few freshman have impressed me as much as Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has.  I realize that it is still early in the season, but I believe Kidd-Gilchrist is the glue that holds the Kentucky Wildcats together.  When I watch him play, I see something really special. 
     In sports, I mostly dislike the constant comparison to players who have come and gone before.  With that said, I am about to make a huge comparison.    While watching his intensity on the court in his first few games wearing the blue and white, I began to notice something.  I thought to myself, "Where have I seen this before?"  Then it hit me, Kidd-Gilchrist has that "Michael Jordan" essence around him. He has that same drive and will to win on his face, just as MJ had so many times.
     Don't start hating on me yet for such a big time reference between Jordan and Kidd-Gilchrist that I have made.  Please don't think I am comparing their style of play.  I'm not.  Kidd-Gilchrist and Jordan have something much deeper in common. It is that fire that is in their eyes, like a lion after it's prey.  Some say I have that same look in my eye right before I down a double cheeseburger.  My point is that Kidd-Gilchrist is portraying that same level of intensity that Jordan had.
     When Kentucky suits up against St. Johns on Thursday, pay close attention to Kidd-Gilchrist.  Let's pretend you never watched a UK game before and didn't know any of the players.  If I asked you to name the seniors on the team, I bet you would say " Kidd-Gilchrist".  He just looks different than anybody else on the floor.  You can tell that he is on a whole other level.


No comments:

Post a Comment